There is nothing better than taking some time to celebrate the amazing mothers and women in our lives. Giving our moms (and ourselves) some time outside and finding moments to create and play together is the priority for this upcoming weekend, and the MyVillage team wants to share an engaging creative project to get you and your family into the great outdoors and then later making some incredibly fun art once you’re done exploring and celebrating mom.
Pebble art is a seriously fun, low cost and no-mess activity that will have you and your kids outside having fun finding treasures while hiking along the trail. As shown in the photo above, this pebble art project is designed to show two birds perching on a tree with some pebble leaves attached to the branch, but feel free to take this design any way you want to! Twigs make great mountains and pebbles make a great family of mountain climbers. Twigs also make great boats and pebbles are awesome sailors. So, if you are going to be climbing mountains or sailing on the high seas, here’s what you’ll need to do…
On Sunday morning (after mom has received breakfast in bed and tons of cuddles), take the family for a walk around the block or a walk along a trail and pick up some of the following materials along the way. When you get back to the house, you’re family will be ready to make some art out of your Sunday adventure!
If you’d like to see the full process with pictures included, head over to Crafts By Amanda for more information!
- Pebbles – assorted sizes and shapes Twig (larger)
- Picture frame with glass removed
- Pencil and eraser
- White cardstock
- Fine tip sharpie (black, careful not to leave along in the hands of a toddler due to this permanent marker weapon!
- Krazy glue or super glue
- Paper cutter OR ruler and scissors
- Cut cardstock to size so it will fit in your picture frame.
- Place twig onto paper as desired. Remember, this twig can serve as a branch, a mountain, or a boat – get creative with it!
- Begin to place smaller-sized pebbles along the edges of the twig to resemble leaves.
- Place the larger-sized pebbles along the twig to resemble birds perching.
- Lift one larger pebble at at time and using a pencil, faintly draw the bird beaks and the bird feet. Replace the larger pebble on top. You may have to help your kiddo with this part, depending on the age of your children.
- Repeat with the second larger pebble.
- If you are happy with the drawing, trace over the top of the pencil markings with a fine tip black sharpie
- When you are happy with the overall design, you can start to secure the pieces to the paper.
- Using protective gloves, begin to dab Krazy Glue or Super Glue to the back side of the twig and press onto the paper. Hold for 10 seconds to secure in place.
- Repeat with each pebble. Hold in place on paper for 10 seconds before moving on to the next pebble.
- Leave it to set overnight. This is a great time to bring mom a glass of wine, provide some foot rubs, and make and eat dinner together as a family.
- In the morning, feel free to color the background if desired. Then, insert the pebble art into your open-front picture fame (no glass insert required).